PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION IN THE STATE, IN THE LAST CENTURY, comprised mostly of providing security to person and property and raising the necessary revenue for the purpose. The only important departments of the State were police, jails and judiciary representing security and land revenue, excise, registration and stamps representing revenue. With the spread of western education and the growth of political consciousness in the country coupled with the gradual association of a few Indians with some aspects of the work of Government, the demand arose for the expansion of Government activities into what were called the " nation-building " activities. With the first popular Government established in 1937, attempts were made not only to expand the nation-building departments but also to create what has now come to be generally described as " a Welfare State " by the new Government. With the attainment of Independence, an all-out effort is being made to establish a Welfare State as rapidly as possible and to build up a socially-directed economy.

The areas which now form Sholapur district were formerly included in Ahmadnagar, Pune and Satara. Karmala was in Ahmadnagar, Mohol in Pune and Pandharpur, Malshiras and Sangola in Satara (which was then an Indian State). Barshi and Sholapur frequently changed between Ahmadnagar and Pune districts. The sub-collectorate of Sholapur was formed under Ahmadnagar district in 1830. The district of Sholapur was formed in 1838 and consisted of the following sub-divisions, viz., Sholapur, Barshi, Mohol, Madha, Karmala, Indi, Hippargi and Muddebihal. The district was, however, abolished in 1864. In 1869 the sub-divisions of Sholapur, Barshi, Mohol, Madha and Karmala together with Pandharpur and Sangola from Satara district were again formed into Sholapur district to which Malshiras was transferred from Satara district in 1875. There were no major changes in the district or taluka boundaries between 1891 and 1941. Consequent upon the merger of the former Indian States two villages of Jamkhindi, 21 villages of Jath State, thirteen villages and one town of Kurundwad State, thirteen villages of Miraj Senior State, three villages of Miraj Junior State, 28 villages and one town of Sangli State and a part of Akkalkot State were added and three talukas of Mohol, Akkalkot and Mangalwedha were newly formed in 1949. The Sholapur taluka was split up in two talukas, viz., Sholapur South and Sholapur North.

In 1950, 53 enclave villages were transferred from Hyderabad State and included in the district in exchange for twelve enclave villages belonging to this district transferred to Osmanabad and Gulbarga districts. One village from Indi taluka of Bijapur district was also added to Mangalwedha taluka of this district in 1950.

With the re-organisation of States in 1956 the district was included in the then Bombay State and since 1960, it forms part of Maharashtra.

According to the old Gazetteer of Sholapur, in 1884 the district was divided into seven sub-divisions covering on an average an area of 646 square miles, 102 villages and 83,212 people. For administration purposes the district is at present divided into eleven talukas.