PLACES

HOTGI

A large village in South Sholapur taluka is located nine miles to the south-east of Sholapur in 1735' north latitude and 7555' east longitude and has, as per the Census of 1971, a population of 8,333 souls. It is a railway junction on the Sholapur-Raichur broad gauge main line of the South-Central railway and Hubli-Sholapur metre gauge branch line of the same railway.

This electrified village has a post and telegraph office, a police sub-post, a sub-centre of the primary health centre, a stock-man headquarters and two libraries conducted by the gram panchayat. Wells form the main source of water-supply. Government irrigation bungalow is also located at Hotgi. Land admeasuring about 100 acres is under irrigation which is facilitated by the Hotgi tank. The tank at Hotgi has been completed at an estimated cost of Rs. 6.59 lakhs benefiting an area of 1,600 acres. The actual area irrigated in 1968-69 was 404 acres.

Fairs are held in the village in honour of Rajender, Krishnanand Maharaj, Shivanandan Jangam, Balasaheb and Chanbasav math respectively. Among these fairs, the biggest one is that held in honour of Chanbasav math in the month of Chaitra, which is attended by about 8,000 persons. About 3,000 people assemble at the time of the fairs held in honour of Rajender in Chaitra and Balasaheb in Pausha. About 2,000 and 1,000 people assemble at the Krishnanand Maharaj fair and Shivanandan Jangam fair held in Pausha respectively. The fair in honour of Maruti is held on Chaitra Shuddha 11 and is attended mostly by the local population. About 600 people assemble at the time of this fair.

TOP