PLACES

KANDALGAON

A village situated in 1805' north latitude and 7505' east longitude 14 miles to the south-west of Sholapur, the district head-quarters, Kandalgaon bears a fine specimen of Hemadpanti architecture in the temple of Kedarling Mahadeo now known as Kedareshwar Mahadeo. The village has a population of 3,339 as per the Census of 1971. It has a post office. Wells form the main source of water-supply. Two primary schools and a high school upto 9th standard conducted by a local institution provide educational facilities to the village population. Medical facilities are provided by the private medical practitioners and a subsidised medical practitioner centre. Family planning sub-centre is also located in the village. A weekly market is held in this village on every Saturday. The village was awarded a silver medal at the hands of the late Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the Prime Minister of India, in 1961-62 for the bunding work done and a gold medal was awarded at the hands of Shri Yashwantrao Chavan along with a cash prize of Rs. 100 in the district level vana-mahotsava competition.

The only object of interest in the village is the temple of Kedareshwar, formerly known as Kedarling Mahadeo. The porch has three pillars on each side and the hall or mandap has five on each side in line of the porch pillars. The mandap has on each side shrines of Mahadeo and Mallikarjun. Every year a fair is held in the temple in honour of Kedareshwar in the month of Chaitra (March-April). More than 3,000 people assemble at the time of the fair. Another small fair is held in the village in honour of Rama on Ramanavami in Vaishakha. It is attended by the local population.

TOP