PLACES

KURDUWADI

Situated in 1805' north latitude and 7525' east longitude in Madha taluka of the Sholapur district, Kurduwadi is an important railway junction on the Pune-Sholapur main broad gauge line and Miraj-Latur branch narrow gauge line of the South-Central railway. The junction has achieved special importance in view of the fact that it has become the main centre to pass through to those thousands of pilgrims visiting Pandharpur from Marathwada region. It has a Government rest-house and a primary health centre. The agricultural produce market committee was established at Kurduwadi in 1969, the commodities regulated being jowar, cotton, ground-nut, wheat, gram, tur and gur. The town has a population of 17,862 souls as per the Census of 1971. The town has no other importance except it being a railway junction. An annual fair is held in the honour of Maruti on Hanuman Jayanti on Chaitra full-moon day. About 5,000 people assemble at the time of the fair.

The municipality was established at Kurduwadi in 1954. It covers an area of 6.475 square kilometres and is governed under the Maharashtra Municipalities Act, 1965. The municipal council is composed of 17 members with two seats being reserved for women and one for the scheduled castes. The chief officer is the administrative head of the municipality. The administration is looked after by the president of the municipality along with the sanitation committee, public works committee, education committee and water-supply and drainage committee.

The municipality maintains one vegetable market. The dispensary conducted by the municipality, the primary health centre of the Madha Panchayat Samiti and the railway hospital cater to the preventive and curative health needs of the people. Besides the primary schools, the educational facilities are provided by one high school conducted by the municipality, the Antar Bharati Vidyalaya and the Nutan Vidyalaya. Underground drainage system has not been introduced in the town. Besides the Samaj Mandir, the municipality maintains a cremation and a burial ground.

TOP